The Fight over the Egg

Home Forums In-Play Forums The Message Tree The Fight over the Egg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Participant

As someone who was pretty far from the center of this, I have a few questions about what happened. First, what happened? Why did we let the Tiger go when he’s just going to come back and kill us?

Participant

I just would like to know what was going on. Apparently we had people lying about what happened, and I’d like to get everything down from both sides.

Crane OdariCrane Odari
    Keymaster

Everyone seems really Confused about this, so here is Everything I know, starting from the Beginning. I’m not a Smart Fairy, but I do pay attention to stuff that can Kill all my Friends and the Rest of You. Despite what I Sadly heard some of you Say when You Thought I couldn’t Hear, we Folk do try to Help all the Time and take Care of the Mortals.

I found the Egg a few gathers ago in the Woods, surrounded by Purple Pigs. I thought they were trying to Eat it, so I grabbed it. Primrose took it from me then since she said She was the Best for Taking Care of it. I fight things Very Well, but I don’t know about Eggs, so I Gave it to Her.

We did an investigation and discovered that the Egg belonged to the Mother of Monsters, who was a Bad Thing. She had Four big babies, and if she had all Four, she Would be Unable to be Killed. The Last of the Babies was the Egg I found. We Also Discovered that the Mother would ABSOLUTELY destroy our town and the World and Everything. She wants to Kill and Rule everything. I think that’s a Bad Person, right? That’s worse than Half the Collectors, or Greed. So why let her be Unable to be Killed?

So instead of Killing a Baby Egg, we discovered that we could Raise it. It would get to Pick what it Did, and it Wouldn’t be a Slave or consumed by the Mother. Plus we wouldn’t have to Fight it Later, which you Know would have Happened because it ALWAYS happens. Primrose and Other Smart People did more learning into How to raise the Egg, so we would do it Right. I know I didn’t do this Part since I’m not a Smart Folk, but I know they Got Done, and People told me What They Learned.

I have been here a few Years, and this was Something that we made Sure we were doing Right, over and over again, which we Rarely Do. I’m pretty sure that if Someone had Told Me that the Egg was going to be Super Bad, or we were doing the Wrong thing, I would have Stopped it. Everyone helped to Teach the Egg the Good stuff we do, like being a Town, helping, all of That. When she Hatched, I took her to the Autumn Court, so she could Run with the Pack of Maynyds and hunt and be Safe. They will help teach her what is a Yes to Hunt and what is a No to Hunt. This is better than Me doing it Because they are Better Hunters and better Teachers. If you Know me, figure out How Much it took to Write that.

But Clover you don’t know what Morals are, say some people who Apparently don’t know the difference between Stealing a Sword from Tacita’s Army and ruining a Life Forever, or even what Jokes Are. Those people are Dumb. I Honestly Thought I was doing the Right Thing and it’s Really Easy to Judge when you aren’t Involved at All. I’m Not Too Stupid, I know I can Mess Up sometimes, but I Know I wasn’t Protecting it for Bad or Selfish Reasons.

That’s all I Know about This. I don’t know Why Aktosh wanted to Spare the Monster, I guess Justice Told Him To? Justice doesn’t really seem Good though, and Everyone seems to Forget that Justice is Just Another Thing here, and Maybe doesn’t always make the Right Choice. Even Vex said, nothing is All Seeing, it would be Impossible and Maddening. And Vex would Probably Know.

(All posts pre 5.15.18 are from Clover Quickstrike)

DirgeDirge
    Participant

Well, there’s your answer. I’m not sure what it says about us that we should doubt the thorough investigation powers of our learned friends and neighbors, and the honor of one of our most trustworthy warriors — questionable as his decisions might be at times — to turn tail and begin to be swayed by the arguments of a fallen enemy. The Other Monster wanted to gain some upper hand against us, once he found he was clearly outmatched in strength, so he caused us doubt. We are not giving that hatchling back, not now, and the gifts we bestowed upon the incubating egg made it equally a part of all of us.

I will not stand to hear another person utter the contemptuous belief that they were lied to, either. No one was lied to here. We were very clear about it.

The Famed, Witty, and Wonderful Bard

Stephen RowlandStephen Rowland
    Participant

I would like to point out that none of us are doing anything to try to harm others. This is coming from the guy who helped fix a collector and working on fixing another. Just because something seems bad, doesn’t mean that the person doing it is bad!
    Town also needs to understand that we’re not the only ones in the forest!

🌿Alembic

Raise a blade for your own cause then, and do not expect mine.

Kur-Uk-Ra
    Keeper of the Edge of Night

FoD Staff

To answer your question, Dmitri. I have not seen any convincing proof that the Mother of Monsters was coming to kill us. The only thing we have is the assurances of the few that were involved. Regardless of which side you claim, the actions of these few should be viewed as selfish and not in the interest of the well-being of the group.

FoD Staff

Kaeli ChambersKaeli Chambers
    Participant

I would not say anyone lied about what the deal was with the Egg. I would not say that anyone was doing anything to purposefully bring harm to the town. I would like to remind people that anytime we get a few of us together to investigate things there is always the chance for misunderstandings or even the wrong conclusion being drawn from the results of our collective brain power. Things can shift and alter what we find in reality. Then again.. sometimes we just don’t think to ask ourselves the right question.

Things happen. Sometimes we make mistakes. Sometimes there is no good choice and we just have to pick the best one.

I helped investigate the Artwork that told us about the Mother of Monsters. I related what information we were able to glean to Primrose. Looking back over my notes I don’t see anywhere where I explicitly wrote that she would come and kill us all, but I certainly remember coming away from the thinking times with that thought. It may even have been an assumption on my part, but at this time it was too long ago for me to clearly recall. Then again, whoever made the artwork may have had some rather heavy bias, in which case any information we got from studying it would be filtered through that hefty bias.

All that said, I do not know if any actual time was put into actual detailed research to cross-check information.

Also.. a bit of a reminder. Justice is Justice. It is not good nor bad. It is not always what is fair. Things are rather clear cut for it. Mother of Monster may be a nasty being.. she may have been looking to eat the little monster.. she may have come after us and killed us all if she got the kid. In the end, we took a child from its mother. That act in and of itself was wrong, even if it was actually the right decision to protect everyone.

Going at each other’s throats over this is not going to help. All we can do is decide what to do from here. A bit of a suggestion, someone take the time to actually look into what went wrong and what will be our best way forward. I mean hitting the books and researching kind of looking into, not the on the fly stuff we usually do. However, I will admit, my plate is rather full right now.

Participant

To answer your question, Dmitri. I have not seen any convincing proof that the Mother of Monsters was coming to kill us. The only thing we have is the assurances of the few that were involved. Regardless of which side you claim, the actions of these few should be viewed as selfish and not in the interest of the well-being of the group.

Well, now you have information straight from one of the ones who helped look into this earlier in the year. Also, no, the ait actions should not be viewed as selfish. Selfish would imply that they were purposefully hiding things, knew it was going to turn out poorly, and still chose to do it because it’s what they wanted to do.

I know Clover rather well as we are both members of the same Court. I know Sarastivasi extremely well as I spend most of my time with her helping me research as well as we are Bonded. If either one had even a hint of suspicion that this was not the correct thing to do, they would dealt with it immediately.

At worst, mistakes were made during the times we investigated things. There was no malice or deliberate intention to conceal things.

The phrase, “mistakes were made” is one that lacks accountability. You are saying that the decision was made from an interpretation of an art piece. I can’t let that go unchallenged. My viewpoint is one of mutual survival, and I don’t think this creature is worth dying for. I have said what I came to say. I will continue to be vocal about this in the future.

FoD Staff

Matt BretschneiderMatt Bretschneider
    Participant

it doesn’t do anyone any good to fight right now. we need to bring our heads together to come up with a plan. do the other siblings know the mothers plan? if they dont i’m sure maybe they dont want to be consumed. maybe someone could talk to them and get them on our side.

Participant

No accountability? I quite clearly laid out where I helped in an investigation and stated that a mistake may have been made in the form of misunderstanding what we were seeing or incorrect assumptions going in. I quite clearly stated where I may have made a mistake. Actions were taken by people based on the best information they had available. There’s only so much time you can wait before an egg starts hatching and you have to make a decision.

Also, I have not said mistakes were made for a certainty. I have simply offered up suggestions that could have led to making the wrong choice. I will point out that as far as I am aware we do not have proof that the wrong choice was made.

If you want someone to blame for it, the turn your ire upon me, not those that acted upon the best information they had.

NimueNimue
    Participant

Wow, no wonder Primrose changed as she did. In an instant this place seems to turn on its own rather than trust the “family” that you claim to be. Have you asked yourselves if she even had a reason to lie to you, all? Why would a simple fairy who knows nothing of motherhood, isn’t magically attuned, and lives to seek out truth in all knowledge attempt to deceive the place that she has just come to live? You take the word of a creature over that of one of your own. With evil deeds such as this, there must be motivation, yet she is openly judged as though she is no one to this town. Her motives and character even questioned by the very woman who called her “her fairy” when she aligned blindly with those of the Dark Mountains just to help save their world and did all the research she could to help them. Is this the place that Defiance has become?

I have included all of the research and information that Primrose notated before the change. You can choose to believe it or not. Just remember who you are accusing here. Interesting enough, even in the end she told you all that this “Kitty” was very “pretty” and “charismatic”. Seems it only took one stupid cat to turn this town on it’s own. Pity. I thought you were all stronger than that.

THESE ARE THE NOTES FROM PRIMROSE’S JOURNAL ON QUICKPETAL

“Quickpetal” The Egg

The Egg was obtained during an exploration lead by Elias in the first Spring gather the year I (Primrose) came to the forest. (April 2017)

It was being guarded by some type of creature that appeared to be purple pigs.

At first glance the egg was colored greens and yellows and was scaled.

During this first gather we investigated the egg regularly and found out the following:
    it is a magical creature that we have no idea what type of creature it is.
    The size it will be and what it will look like is malleable
    The act needs tender love and care
    The creature on the inside understands what is going on around it.
    Both the creature and the shell are magical in nature
    The magic of the creature and shell are of no magic that we know of and is primal in nature (this was shown by a force lance 5 it hit me with after the investigation)
    The shell could be used for armor after it has hatched, but will take research
    The egg is from a shard world
    The creature will initially be small, but could become monstrous
    The creature is already imprinting with Primrose
    It’s base skills are already there, but other skills and traits will form and will be influenced by those who care for it.

After the investigation early on the 2nd day of the gather, we chose to use the Goblin spell “Crafting of Memory” on the egg so that we could speak to it.

What creature are you?

I am a monstrosity and I want to be monstrous

What happens if we break you?

You should love and care for me. I like to be warm. Do not break me.

Will you take care of us if we take care of you?

I will love and care for those who love and care for me.

Who was your mother?

I was laid by my mother, she is very powerful.

How long will it be before you hatch?

A few months

From there Primrose took over care of the egg. She cared for it between gathers. During the time between gathers it changed. The egg, while staying about the same size became much more heavy and dense. The shell also changed colors from the original greens and yellows to hues of red, gray, and black. The scale of the shell stayed the same. Primrose could tell that the egg was bonding closer to her like a mother and child bond during pregnancy.

During the gather (May 2017) we came in contact with more monsters like we had seen before only these were stronger, more sentient, and actually talked to us. The monsters asked directly for the egg and referred to their mother as the “Mother of Monsters” saying it was her egg. These monsters were the colorful monsters that we have been seeing for longer that I have been here. They are colorful animals such as purple pigs, blue lizards, and the like.

We asked one of the monsters what the egg was and it said that it was only a shadow of what the egg was to become. That the egg was the most important monster and referred to it as grand and almost as if it were royalty to the smaller monsters.

After encountering these creatures and knowing they were searching for the egg, we did another investigation. The following information was derived…
    Channeling charges may help assist the egg once it starts hatching
    The bond it is forming with Primrose is different than an empathy bond or the bond that Dreamers and Earthbound have with their familiars. It is very much a motherly bond.
    The egg will be hatching before the year is out.
    The creature will be a colossal creature, but the type is still malleable
    The creature inside must feel like it is part of Defiance in order for it to be loyal to us
    This is a 2nd tier creature, a direct descendant of the Mother of Monsters
    When the egg starts to hatch we can expect a large fight of the smaller creatures to come and try to take it.
    It will be 1 to 2 years before the creature is fully matured once it hatches.
    We must keep the egg away from the monsters coming after it and protect it as though it were a member of town that they were trying to kidnap
    Primrose and Clover will help in determining the traits that the creature has as they have taken the positions of mother and father.
    The egg likes music and soothing voices, anything like you would treat a baby in the womb. The voices of those caring for it are most soothing. It loves being sung to.
    After the egg hatches, the Mother of Monsters will eventually come for the creature inside, so it’s very important that the entire town takes care of the egg and cares for and protects the creature once it is born.

Will the help of Sarastavasi we were able to gain the most important information that we missed.

This is the 4th child in a set of four. It’s the last one being born in the series to give the Mother of Monsters ultimate power.

Shortly after Primrose and Clover gave the creature inside a last name “Quickpetal” which is how we refer to it now. We are hoping that this will help the creature know that in giving it a name we are accepting it as family and part of the town that we are going to love and protect.

Quickpetal was taken to Rakdor’s greater working. When one of the monsters came after me, Clover jumped in front of me to protect me and the egg and exclaimed something about protecting us. I believe it was something along the lines of “Not my baby mama!” After the ritual I helped gather Rakdor’s runes. I placed them in the pouch with the egg and some of Rakdor’s blood got on the egg. I need to remember to see if this in any way changed the egg or Quickpetal.

**We have continued to research and investigated the egg each gather and haven’t obtained any new information other than the fact that everything I’m doing is right and to continue to do so. The hatching should be at the autumn gather.

Autumn Gather

Tazmira cast Stargiven Destinies upon Quickpetal in order to look into his/her future for the next year.

We gained a lot of the same information again.

I specifically asked if what we are doing is causing Quickpetal harm and the answer was no. We are doing this right, just maybe not quite so much magic. (which was later proven by the force lance hiccups)

We were told about the coming year in which the three other siblings will come to visit us and attempt to take Quickpetal away. First there was a large red tiger who was heavily armored, quite strong, and also very “pretty” which we clarified and found it was charismatic. It would talk to us about the situation, but it would ultimately come down to a pretty tough fight with the creature.

There wasn’t much learned about the other two siblings other than one was a pig that was quite venonous and the other was a dog that looked heavily armored and very strong.

Tazmira also got the first glance at the Mother of Monsters. Basically, she was half woman and half snaked, very poisonous, and extremely deadly (which she proved by reaching through the divination and killing Tazmira)

Like the mother the other siblings were also half human and half animal.

We could not define what Quickpetal would be as even at the gather that it was to hatch, it was still forming who it was.

We did gain the knowledge that there would be a major power struggle within Quickpetal between loyalty to the mother and loyalty to us. The best way to insure it’s loyalty to us was to continue to treat is as we have been.

We also learned (as before) that the mother would be coming a year from Quickpetal’s birth to claim him/her.

Investigating Allowing Autumn to Bless QuickPetal

It’s so close to time, but I am going to try to scribbles a few notes

Blessing now is a bad idea as it could cause many problems, however in a year a blessing would be safe.

Dedicating the birth to Autumn would however help because Autumn would give us a relatively safe place or safer place to help the egg hatch. Since 5 of Quickpetal’s guardians are of the Autumn Court, we figured this would be a great idea and are going with that.

There are all kinds of things that the Mother of Blood could give to Quickpetal, but if done now the chances of it causing major issues is way to high. We will wait until a year before looking at this again.

The Birth

It happened. She is here and she is beautiful and scary as I knew she’d be. She tried to attack pretty much everyone, but me, Clover, Sarastavasi, and Aktosh. As with any newborn she was very hungry and while she is trying to come to terms with the world around her she sees basically anything made of “meat” as food. Clover took her to the Autumn court and the hunters there immediately became her friends and “pack” if you will. She will be safe there for the time being and be able to get what she needs in these first few stages of life. After the gather I will go there to be with her and bond with her more. It’s still very important that she feels like one of our own.

Clover, Vasi, and I stayed in the nest with her and sang to her and told her stories of heroism and friendship and family. I even gave her my very first inspiring performance hoping that would put a little more love into her. I was scared that all our preparation wouldn’t work, but it went about as well as I could have hoped though there was some distant yelling I could hear from the nest. I am not sure what that was about, but I will inquire about it in the morning once I have had some rest. Someone said they let the tiger go. All I know is that we will probably have to face him again as well as the other siblings. It scares me, but I know in my heart that what we are doing is right. The Mother of Monsters can’t gain all that power. She will destroy everything if she gets Quickpetal and gains the “ultimate power” that we learned from our research and investigations.

I feel very empty now without her here to care for. I looked up things in my books and apparently there is some human conditioned called “empty nest syndrome” that human women experience when the child they had was taken away or died shortly after birth. I do wish she was here so I could hug her and sing to her like I have for months and months now. Who am I going to read bedtime stories to?

END PRIMROSE’S NOTES

If you have any questions, I am planning on doing further research and investigations on My Child. I will happily relay them to whomever wishes the truth. I am headed to Autumn now to see my daughter. I wish you all well and hope that you can pull yourselves together over this. The last thing that a child needs is to grow up watching it’s family feud over it. I could almost guarantee this could tip the scales of it’s loyalty to us and send it into the arms of the Mother of Monsters. Perhaps that is what the tiger sought to do after all. The easiest way to get Quickpetal to come to the Mother is to have her turn from the family who has already nurtured her.

The Black Dahlia

Priscilla WeberPriscilla Weber
    Participant

it doesn’t do anyone any good to fight right now. we need to bring our heads together to come up with a plan. do the other siblings know the mothers plan? if they dont i’m sure maybe they dont want to be consumed. maybe someone could talk to them and get them on our side.

At this point, i can confirm that we cannot use words to sway the siblings nor the Mother to our cause or even garner an audience, as Gust, Aktosh, Rista (sp?) And myself have tried. The time for discussions has long past the point of no return.

Khai

--------
    All posts before 8/1/19 are written by Aurelia, Former Lord Commander of the Duskwatch Legion, the last Soldier of the Dark Mountains

Stephen RowlandStephen Rowland
    Participant

Raise a blade for your own cause then, and do not expect mine.

Kur-Uk-Ra
    Keeper of the Edge of Night

I’ll never ask for help from someone who’s willing to give up on his friends so easily. I have heard your people are Loyal and fierce warriors, but you proven that you care more for your “survival” than anything. Good luck with that, you will last a long life in the forest.

🌿 Alembic

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.